Saturday 2 January 2016

HELLO 2016! GOALS AND RESOLUTIONS.


Like most people, I've never been very good at making and sticking to new year's resolutions but I decided that today I'd share my thoughts on a few of the things I want to focus on this coming year. This is definitely not going to be a long list because I really want to put everything I've got into working on these few things; it feels good to have clear priorities. Whether I'll achieve these things is another story but it's nice to start the year with goals in mind.


- WORK ON MY HEALTH -

2015 was my worst year yet for physical health. I've been struggling with my health for years, particularly with fatigue. But after a pretty serious viral illness that started in February last year my physical health was at an all time low and I was finally diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalopathy (or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). 2015 was spent struggling and coming to terms with things and I really want 2016 to be the year where I start getting to a place where my illness isn't a huge roadblock to getting on with the rest of my life.

After being on a waitlist for many months I've finally been accepted to begin a course of treatment at my local hospital at the end of January. I'm not sure exactly what it involves but hopefully it will help me learn how to manage my illness and start taking steps to getting better.

I'm far from hating my body but I've definitely put on quite a bit of weight in the last year and I know that's partly down to my illness but it's also to do with my lifestyle and diet choices. I want to slowly start building more exercise back into my routine and eating better. Having ME means that strenuous exercise often has a negative effect on my health but I'm hoping that with pacing and time I'll be able to start doing more gentle exercise like yoga and pilates, along with the everyday walks I do already. Hopefully this will not only speed up my recovery but also help me lose some of the extra weight that I'm not too happy with.

- START EARNING AGAIN -
As I mentioned, 2015 was an extremely difficult year in terms of my physical health and that meant that I've been unable to earn full time since February last year. I want to get my health to a place where I can start working again at least part time. I'd really love to work in a bookshop. It's been my aim to work in the publishing industry for a long time, but since I don't want to move to London and couldn't physically start a publishing career yet, my goal right now is to be a bookseller. I just want to work with books and be surrounded by people who love books as much as I do.

Until I'm able to physically go out to work I want to find a way of earning from home, whether it be through my blog or doing some other freelance work. I really have no clue where to start here so if anyone has any knowledge or tips about working from home please let me know in the comments or email me.


- READ 85 BOOKS -
2015 was the first year that I particpated in the Goodreads reading challenge. I set myself a goal of reading 65 books and far exceeded that, finishing the year with 83 books read. This year I'd like to do even better than that and I've set myself the goal of reading 85 books.

- CREATE A CAPSULE WARDROBE -
Earlier this year I was fascinated by Anna of Vivianna Does Makeup's venture into creating a seasonal capsule wardrobe. I've since read Unfancy, the blog that started it all, from start to finish and really want to do this myself. Last year I got rid of an entire wardrobe's worth of clothes but I still feel like I've got so many clothes that I don't really like or wear. This year I really want to create a small seasonal wardrobe filled with things that I really love and want to wear every day. If this comes to fruition I'll probably do a post about my experience so let me know if you'd like to see that!

So those are the handful of ideas that I want to work on this year. I think it'll be really interesting to look back at the end of 2016 and see how far I've come.

I love reading goals/resolutions posts so if you've written one yourself please link it in the comments!

What are your new year's resolutions?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah's Chapter. Design by FCD.