Thursday 22 October 2015

I LOVE AUTUMN AND THAT'S OKAY


I love everything about autumn, and I don't care if that makes me 'basic'.

It's become a bit of a cliche for bloggers and anyone with an Instagram account to freak out the minute the leaves start changing and everything becomes 'fall' this and 'autumnal' that. And because the internet is partly fuelled by rage, this causes a lot of people to criticise anyone who's fully celebrating the season and label them as 'basic'. Do you love cosy jumpers and Ugg boots? You must be basic. Are you excited about your first hot chocolate or pumpkin spiced latte? Ugh, you're so basic. Are you instagramming autumn leaves and pumpkins? BASIC.

It's definitely a trend to criticise people for enjoying something and sharing that enjoyment online. But you know what? There's plenty of reasons why all of us 'basic' people are excited.

An honest to goodness, no-filter, no-edit, autumn sunset. So beautiful.


This time of year is beautiful and fun and full of possibilities. The visible changing of the seasons is pretty breathtaking; the leaves put on their colourful outfits, the sunsets get more intense and waking up early to misty morning light and a hint of frost on the windows is lovely.

The cooler weather means that getting dressed every day is so much easier and a lot more fun. I always think that autumn and winter are the best times for style. In the UK in spring and summer, you never really know what the weather's going to do; it could be freezing rain one minute or blazing heat the next. But with the colder months you know where you are. This is the time of year where the cosy fabrics and rich colours come out to play. There's nothing better than layering up with jumpers, scarves, coats and boots - more elements to an outfit means more chances to create a great a look, all whilst keeping warm and snuggly.

As the nights start closing in earlier and colder, it's the perfect excuse to stay wrapped up indoors. As much as I love gamboling around outside, I LOVE indoors. There's a reason why man created indoors - and autumn is the perfect time to celebrate it. In summer I feel guilty for choosing to spend time inside with a book or my laptop but come autumn, snuggling on the sofa with a roaring fire, a blanket and a Netflix spree is the best way to spend an evening.

For me, autumn brings with it the anticipation of exciting things to come. I'm an autumn baby, so I've always loved this time of year; it means celebrations, cake, presents and spending time with loved ones. Then as soon as my birthday is over it's time to start looking forward to Christmas - and what's not to love about that?!

Autumn is probably my favourite time of the year, I'm incredibly excited about it and guess what? That's completely okay. It's important to remind yourself that it's okay to be ridiculously enthusiastic about things - in fact, it's better than okay, it's wonderful. There's always going to be people who put you down for being too into things and therefore being 'basic'. But at the end of the day, who's going to end up happier - the person who's unashamedly enjoying life, or the person who's putting people down on the internet? I think you know the answer to that.

I love Autumn, and I love that I love autumn. Bring on the season!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah's Chapter. Design by FCD.